GFC is a dynamic state agency responsible for providing leadership, service and education in the protection and conservation of Georgia’s forest resources. GFC offers many exciting career opportunities in the forestry industry and is an equal opportunity employer and service provider.
Careers at GFC
GFC seeks to recruit highly qualified technical, administrative and managerial personnel. We offer challenging work, training opportunities, attractive employee benefits and a pay for performance compensation plan.
Ranger applications are only accepted when there is an advertised job vacancy posting.
Examples of duties:
- Operate two to five ton trucks and medium to heavy crawler tractors in the suppression of wildfires
- Prepare reports, including measuring and computing acreage
- Assist landowners in control burns and plow pre-suppression breaks
- Use appropriate equipment including hand tools and bull dozers to suppress wildfires
- Perform preventative maintenance and small repairs to fire suppression equipment
- Respond to fire calls and other requests for assistance, such as accidents and other emergencies
- Participate in rotating ‘on call’ schedule to respond after hours and on weekends
Forester applications are only accepted when there is an advertised job vacancy posting. A prerequisite is a 4-year Forestry degree from a Society of American Foresters (SAF) accredited school.
Examples of duties:
- Provide technical assistance to landowners in all areas of forest management
- Write multiple resource-based forest management plans for landowners
- Assist with timber sales on state lands
- Provide technical assistance to landowners in afforestation and reforestation
- Diagnose insect and disease infestations and make recommendations for control
- Assess storm damage to forest lands
- Develop prescribed burning plans and assist with implementation
- Provide assistance with establishing Streamside Management Zones
- Present forestry programs to school groups and local government bodies
- Assist landowners with cost share programs
GFC employs part time and full time dispatchers. Part time dispatcher applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Examples of duties:
- Support of fire control activities under limited supervision
- Operate and monitor a voice and data communications system consisting of: two-way radio, telephone and computer data communications network
- Assist in location, dispatching of equipment and maintaining radio contact with personnel
- Stay abreast of current fire information and issue weather updates
- Receive and process burn permits
- Perform related clerical work including completion of reports and answering/forwarding incoming telephone calls
- Perform minor janitorial duties within the dispatch work area
We are always accepting applications! Click here the State of Georgia Application.
Please send a completed application to one of the following contacts:
Occasionally, we have other positions which come open, such as administrative assistant, accountant, forest inventory analysis forester or welder. When we do, the vacancy will be posted below.
Current Job Openings
Please check our Current Job Openings to see if there is an available position that fits your skills and interests. We update this information regularly, so check back for new postings for jobs.
|Title||Job Number||Closing Date||Job Location (City, County)||Job Type||Link||Notes|
|Urban/Community Forester||NAT00IK||5/2/2021||Statesboro||Full Time||Apply Now|
|Part-time dispatcher - 2nd and 3rd shifts||N/A||4/28/2021||Macon||Part Time||Apply Now||Openings for the 2p - 11p and 11p - 7a shifts. Submit application to Ashlee Booth (email@example.com)|
|Wildland Firefigher (Bleckley-Pulaski-Dodge)||NAT00II||4/22/2021||Eastman||Full Time||Apply Now||Georgia Forestry Commission's elite workforce is focused on conserving and protecting Georgia's forest resources. Our highly trained wildland firefighters enjoy a dynamic work environment, become experts in the field of wildland fire suppression/prevention, and become part of a unique, all hazard response state agency.|
Apply today to see if you have what it takes!
Qualified applicants will receive an Open House Invite.
Must have a commercial learner's permit (CLP) prior to hire date and the ability to obtain a CDL within 12 weeks.