During the #COVID19 pandemic, it is imperative that prescribed fire practitioners statewide exercise heightened judgement about smoke management. GFC is communicating with Georgia’s air quality regulators and with Governor Kemp’s office about how forestry and prescribed fire can minimize any potential air quality issues.
While those discussions continue, our request of anyone considering a burn is that you be hyper-vigilant as to burn planning and smoke management. Here are a few tips to help you:
- Review prescribed fire best practices
- Plan your burn, then triple check your burn plan to make sure you’ve planned for smoke management
- Create a smoke management plan
- Check fire weather conditions frequently
- Consider whether your burn can potentially wait until next year
- Get a permit by calling your local county office
Let’s ensure that when the history of this pandemic is written, that forestry is written as part of the solution, and not part of the problem.